Wednesday, April 05, 2006

quick-step is bad for cycling!

read it here first:
I've come to the conclusion that the Quick-Step Innergetic "mob" is a detriment to the state of cycling. They dominate all races that they enter. They either are in every major break, or they chase down every break that they're not. Tom Boonen rides protected by team mates virtually negating any chances for others to take the first podium spot. The Tour of Flanders and much of the other spring classics are rapidly becoming predictable and I dare say a bore... Ooooo, me incite flame war! Sounds like another team we all know doesn't it? As Lance bore down on the Tour record books, this rhetoric became more commonplace the closer he got. I'm wondering if we'll hear anything remotely similar as Boonen destroys everyone in his path during his quest towards cycling immortality. I don't think that I'd be unhappy about Tom winning Vlaanderen if he didn't do it in front of two Discovery riders! Both Leif Hoste and big George Hincapie are on fire as of late! I think that I dig(g) the Disco boys more now that the Texan is no longer riding. Sounds strange but I feel that they have to work a shitload harder to gain any kind of respect this season in his wake.

The MUUR!
One of my favorite parts of any race during the season is the Muur de Grammont which is in both of the images here. It's not the toughest of the hills in the Belgian classics but it's one of the most exciting. It's the penultimate climb in Flanders and the peleton or the break are usually haulin' ass. Some of the best photos of the year come from this small cobbled climb as everyone is generally out of the saddle powering up it. One of my favorite shots is of Frank Vandenbroucke in the '99 Ronde (couldn't find the photo); he always had dope style. Same goes for him in '03 again against Peter Van Petegem; dope! I have a soft spot for the "terrible child" (he's not much of a child anymore); doping, and mental illness aside, he rode w/ class and took some spectacular wins early on. He's showing a little form this year riding for Unibet.com. VDB baby!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home