Saturday, March 11, 2006

you're on the bike path bitches!

race face tells me...
so if you're like me and frequent the bike paths to lessen your contact w/ the idiots and their cars you may have experienced this phenomena...the race face! If you're completely unfamiliar w/ the term, you usually see race face on athletes getting ready for an event. They'll have their race face at the start as they're thinking about the upcoming effort or as they're dealing w/ whatever little demons surface mentally as you're about to compete. You'll remember race face on the Olympic swimmers on the blocks, or on the speed skaters skating up to the line their faces emotionless telling nothing of what they're feeling. Race face can also be called "game face", but to me that sounds like a bunch of screaming Neanderthal football players headbutting each other before running out onto the field. No, race face is reserved for racing. Point A to point B; an all out effort against the very person you're standing next to…

So what the f#@% place does it have on the Mt. Vernon Trail bike path? You're not racing. I'm riding the other direction so I'm not suddenly going to turn around and try to race you to the next whatever post proving who es mas macho. This always comes from my fellow roadies. You don't see anyone riding a 10 year old steel hybrid giving you race face. In fact they're usually the ones passing us in our professional euro-kits and thousand $ bikes! Is is because you spent a shitload of money on your ride and you couldn't possibly talk to someone who's bike would only retail for $5000 [ed.note- that's w/ everything calculated at the highest possible MSRP...I have issues]. Maybe it's because it's not custom. It can't be because it's blue, can it?

already bad p.r.
Roadies already have the worst reputation on the paths. We go to fast, we yell when you're in the way, we cut our passes WAY to close most of the times, and we're generally unfriendly asses. I worked in shops for the 5-6 years and sold a ton of hybrids, and these casual customers HATE roadies. They're wondering why we spend so much on our bikes when we're not racing. They can't understand our attraction to helmets, sunglasses and kits (clothing) that looks like we're going to "race Lance in France". At the suggestion of the good stuff they cower responding, "Oh no, I could never ride/wear that I'm not a racer." We use this stuff 'cuz we know it's good, and it's fun to have/use the good stuff. It enhances our experience as riders. Kumbayah moment aside, I feel the need to help foster a positive outlook upon us the elected elitists of the cycling world.

And what do we do, we perpetuate it. It's such a small thing to say hi on the path. But they decide not to. Not a wave, nor smile, or nod emanates from their steely gaze. I've been known to give the face but that's usually when I'm sucking wind trying to catch Grandpa on the hybrid w/ loaded panniers; I simply can't make another face, I'm in pain! This is where it gets fun for me. Macho elitist asses aside, the local team riders (NCVC, Squadra Coppi, Java Shack, etc.) are the ones that make me laugh the most. I've talked to their elite team members (Cats 3 to 1) and they'll say that they always smile or nod when riding. They actually feel the obligation as ambassadors of the sport to portray themselves as well, not asses. They then divulge that it's the 4/5 guys, the pack fodder, the newbies, the guys w/ the cleanest newest team kit that give the face. Since they don't have the results to fall back on, they give the face to make themselves feel superior to others. Here's another point to ponder: go out and find yourself some pro riders when the CSC Invitational (Clarendon/Arlington/VA) race is being held. I can guarantee that they will smile, nod or wave to you. If they don't let me know and I'll flame 'em on this blog! If you keep it short and sweet w/ the pros they'll usually respond pretty positively. They know that this sport is super small in the States regardless of who Lance is banging next.

All I'm getting at is that you're riding on the bike path. It is a privilege to have these great trails for everyone's use (meaning that there will be others sharing the blacktop w/ you), so what hurt can at least a nod do? There, I'm done.

Photos courtesy of CyclingNews and Fotoreporter Sirotti

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home