Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Zabel So Nice!

The "Nearly Man" finally is the man again!
Erik Zabel (Milram) stole the thunder from Thor Hushovd (Credit Agricole) during the sprint for Stage 4 in La Vuelta A España. Sorry for the Cyclingnews type copy there. Or, I could've said: ...stole Thor's thunder, vanquishing Hushovd in the dash for the line of...; I think I'll stay w/ these!

Erik has been "suffering" from a string of 11 second and 12 third places in races this year. I'd love to suffer that much riding in the classics and grand tours- ALL YEAR! He rides from the beginning to the end and is competitive all the time. You can say that there isn't much competition, but that's the point. Robbie McEwen (Davitamon-Lotto) is suffering from some fatigue, and Alessandro Petacchi (Milram) is coming back from a nasty broken knee. Erik has the form to race all year, and rarely gets hurt; all elements of successful racing. You have to be aware at all times during stages as well as the sprints while adding a little bit of luck to avoid the wrecks. Anyway, good on ya mate!

The problem I'm having though is that I found out how old he is: 36! Phil Liggett calls him a "grand old man of the peloton", and I'm turning 35 in December! WTF?! I thought for some reason he was older than that; perhaps as old as Viatcheslav Ekimov (Discovery) who was born in the 50's I think! [ed.note- 1966!] Should I take the stance that you can be competitive in your late 30's, or that in your late 30's you're considered a grand old man... whatever Phil. You've been covering the Tour almost as long as I've been alive!

Technorati Tags: , , , ,

Images courtesy of Cyclingnews.com and PezCyclingNews.com.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home