Wednesday, August 09, 2006

wow, what a week!

and it's only Wednesday!
I started the week off riding on Monday. I set up my fixed gear for road training again, or at least circuit training down at the Point. I'm going no brakes, and no levers so it looks like a madison bike. Pictures soon to follow. Anyway, I had an okay ride considering I was fine tuning the position again as well as getting used to riding Look pedals and cleats again. Now I remember why I switched! I'm sure the new versions are much better, but my 296's suck ass now compared to my Times. Happy days, I did some light spinning w/out really any pressure. My big ride was set for Tuesday.

I get out the door Tuesday morning all set for 60+ miles in the saddle. About 10 miles out, I sense something is 'amiss' and I begin checking over my bike as I'm pedaling. I notice that the rear wheel is a little out of true so I stop to check it out. No, it's actually a SOFT TACO!! As I spin it I see it dive to the far right striking the brake pads! That's not good. I've had damaged rims before so I wasn't panicking just yet. I altered the seating of the axle so it would avoid hitting the stays (carbon) if it started to get worse. Well a mile down the road, it did. I had to go over a wooden bridge that's not the smoothest and by the other side, my tire was mating w/ the carbon in my chainstay. It had already worn through the paint and was starting to make a divot in the frame! I still didn't panic as I thought I could do something to make this work. I found the offending spoke, but I found it not connected to anything! The rim had disintegrated and pieces were falling into my hand as I played w/ it.

So here I am, full Hammer Nutrition kit, and $275 Shimano shoes walking my bike down the path. Since the wheel couldn't be altered to not hit the frame, I had to carry the back of the bike. I'm so happy now. Long story short, my wonderful, beautiful, forgiving wife left class to come and rescue me!

Now I'm looking at 2 top end wheelsets, a Bontrager Race X Lite Aero, and a Mavic Ksyrium SSL that have destroyed rear wheels. I'm going to attempt to warranty them simply because I don't see why I should have to pay anything due to what I feel is a manufacturing defect. We'll see if they see it that way, and then I'll make my choice of what wheel company I go w/ in the future based of the outcome. Oh, to add to this, my Mavic Ksyrium Elite rear wheel was wobbling before I even left for my ride today! Me so happy for me.

No more wheel stuff until I decisions are made.

My ride today was great but started off shaky. Riding the Tufos, I like to have redundant backup by carrying a folding tire and tube, but in line w/ the rest of the week. I did a bunch of repeats trying to bury myself, and I was successful. I'm trashed. I have those randomly pulsing muscles all over my legs too. Weeeeee! It was worth it.


Technorati Tags: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home