Friday, June 09, 2006

finally!

I finally was able to successfully transfer the image of my bike into the digital realm. No mean feat as I've bled for my quest... Strangely enough I think the picture is out of focus; or at least I think the pedal is in focus, and everything else is just out. I hate my camera's viewscreen.

Anyway, you can see I'm riding a 2001 Trek 5500 OCLV Postal Service model (built in 2002). I purchased the frame and added the rest. This is close to the original model the main difference being that I'm using boundaries Aero's whereas the OEM spec was Mavic Ksyrium SSL's. The Mavics were lighter, but the rear did what all Ksyriums do when they fail, they pulled the spokes through the rim. The Bonty wheels haven't budged. Mavic told me that it will cost me $180 to repair something they know is a problem and is well documented. Whatever.


The frame is lugged carbon deep from the mines of Waterloo, Wisconsin. OCLV is great stuff. I won't spew anymore Trek kool-aid today. The ride is balanced as you would expect of a design that hadn't changed much since its inception. It corners predictably and is super comfortable on long rides. And yes, it does feel like dead wood. That's how carbon feels. If you don't like it enjoy your Rivendell or Bob Jackson or whatever it is you ride, I don't want to hear it. I added the LOOK HSC4 fork simply because I thought the Bonty version looked and rode like crap. I'm not a fan of straight forks both for looks and for their lack of vertical compliance. The Bonty fork has a strange crown that dives in and doesn't touch the Cane Creek S-6 headset in a flush manner. The LOOK obviously does. That being said, don't say a word when you see my Gunnar built up w/ a XXXLite Bonty fork. I didn't have anything else. Forks are expensive. Besides the OEM fork that came w/ the frame was a weapon! I think it was the Race model and that thing isn't light!

Shifting is a combo of Shimano Dura-Ace, and Ultegra. Dura-Ace shifters are way too expensive for normal riding, and don't last as long as Ultegra. I'll keep telling myself that as I cry myself to sleep thinking of the buttery action of Durace. So Ultegra shifting, Durace front and rear mechs, and Ultegra brakes (another huge expense).
My FSA Carbon Pro Isis cranks were some of the first off the line and definitely the first that I'd seen on any bike. Now they're on everything. Good God FSA has become a bunch of whor... I digress; it's great for the company and it's forced the industry to watch what they're doing and catch up.

I'm a big fan of the esoteric and Stella Azzurra hits that mark. I've been riding the ViceVersa Aluminum stem and Brianza bars since day one (some changes here and there). They're not the lightest in their line, but they sure are strong. Remember I used to be 215+ in the weight category! The bar tape is Stella too.
The rest of the cockpit is rounded out by more Italian luxury items: Selle Italia TurboMatic 4 saddle, and a Selcof carbon straight post. I change these the most as I have a ton of saddles, posts and stems. I always want to screw w/ things when they're already fine, just because I can. I originally started w/ a Deda Black Stick Mag carbon seatpost and a Selle San Marco ASPide saddle. So light, so gucci! Unfortunately the Deda post uses notches to hold it's saddle tilt position and no saddle I've used has the right tilt; it's either nose too far up, or too far down. As for the saddle, I wore that thing down until I discovered that it wasn't comfortable for 6 hour rides. I kept seeing the Turbo being used by a lot of the experienced pros (Jalabert, Hushovd, Voit, and a bunch others) and decided to give it a try. Damn that thing is comfortable! It's almost 3 times heavier than the ASPide, but what the f#$% does that matter if you can't be comfortable on the bike for more than 2 hours. Hell Boonen has been using a Rolls! He changes that too, but I think that's more from the sponsors wanting to see him on the latest greatest, but they want comfort in the end. I got caught up in the weight race to have the latest, lightest saddle but I'm finding that the old standby works the best. Other than the Flite, I think it's one of the oldest saddles in Selle Italia's line. You have to search to find them though; they don't show it on their website, but they still make it. Pro's would stop riding if they didn't make it anymore!

As for the wheels, Bonty Aero's aren't light, but they roll. We all like light things, but when you feel a set of aero wheels get up to speed and start working for you then you know. Why do you think that teams are still riding Mavic Cosmic Carbones? Those things are STUPID heavy for the price and that they're (sort of) carbon. But they ROLL! Outer rotational weight is great for everything except for the high mountains. I change tires all the time as well; until I stopped working in the industry. I used to get flooded w/ everything that was available just to test and see if I wanted to bring them in. I haven't ridden a tire that costs less than $50 in over 6 years! I won't go back, I'll just ride them longer; you know, when they wear out. So right now I'm shod w/ the Vredestein Fortezza Tri-Comps. These are very supple, sticky and actually wear pretty decent for a high-end racing tire. I'll talk more about tires some other time, as I have a TON of info to divulge.


Foot interface is achieved through Time's new RXS pedals. I originally was using Look, but they haven't changed how you walk on their cleats, and Time has; it's much easier. Plus, the pedals are super-light, and they're freaking cheap! They're also French made so you get all the above and they're not out-sourced to Taiwan. They have a little more input from the retention spring vs. the slippery feeling the Looks give you while clipped in. I didn't know I'd like this until I tried them. Now I like it.


Bottle cages were originally Tacx Tao, and they fit the bike perfectly. One of them broke, and I can't stand not having things matched, so I put on the Profiles I had sitting around. I actually like the way that an open design releases the bottle vs. the Tacx closed version. The other problem that arises from that style is you need to have the right sized bottle to fit inside, and you wouldn't believe how bottles vary from company to company.


Sorry I'm so lazy in not adding the links, but you can do some work for a change. When I built this bike it was pretty dope, and while it's still an absolute joy to ride it's starting to show it's age. Just like me; although I am getting faster!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home