Friday, February 10, 2006

first sub 40 ride in a long time

A little history first…

I’ve just started getting back in the saddle (distance rides) again after nearly a 2 month layoff. I was commuting to work everyday by bike, and while there were some below freezing rides, they were only for a mile. I used to have a commute of over 5 miles, and I did that rain, sleet or snow. But after moving out of DC and only a couple blocks from work, I definitely softened a bit (we’ve since moved again). I’ve repeatedly slacked off during the winter, only to get started w/ the fat loss at the end of March. A little repetitive. Last year was no different, but I started the training at a healthy 220 pounds! In an effort to not look like pigs in our wedding photos we began shedding as much as we could. In June I was at 190! By August I had reached 172! I know that you’re not supposed to lose that much weight that fast but w/ riding upwards of 200 miles a week, cutting out all simple sugars (high-fructose corn syrup the main one), and all trans-fats (partially-hydrogenated oils), then upping my intake of unrefined whole wheat products, and unrefined anything, it naturally fell off w/out problem. I’ll get into the nutrition later, muy importante!

So a couple of days ago (2/08) I threw on the layers (yet another future post) and set out into a 37° degree sunny afternoon. I’ve been riding at least 2 days a week for the past 2 weeks, but they were all above 50°. I knew I was ready to start hammering again when I wanted to do a sub forty ride. The rides are more about getting the muscles used to being on the bike again for an extended period than anything else. I’m doing them piano (ask Bob Roll), only 20 miles, and not chasing any passing hybrid commuters.

The numbers are funny compared to what they were in the summer:

20 miles/ 1 hour 27 minutes/ 14 mph average/
88 rpm/ 844 kcal/167 bpm avg/ 194 bpm max.

Not so fast, but I’m happy I’m just getting out in that crap. I hate cold weather; plain and simple. Once I figure out the Polar thing, I’ll finalize how I’m going to post the numbers in the future. By the way, I’m starting the season at 180 pounds. We’ll see if I can match the little Italian climbers this year.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I though your blog was cool and i think you may like this cool Website.

6:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home